Basmati riceIt is one of the best long rice dishes in the world, especially if we want to use it as an accompaniment to curry dishesororiental dishesusually.
Ingredients for How to make basmati rice h2>
- 200g Sundari basmati rice
- 250 ml. of water
- The zest of a lime or half a lemon li>
- 1/2 teaspoon dessert type coriander seeds
- 1/2 dessert-type teaspoon of whole cumin.
- 1/2 teaspoon dessert type fennel or some aniseed spice
- Salt to taste)
The authentic basmati has been cultivated in India and Pakistan for hundreds of years, being the mountainous areas of the Himalayas where the highest quality is produced.
It is a very long grain rice, and it gets even longer while it cooks. During cooking the grains stay together and separate little, but are not sticky after cooking.
It can be found in two forms, white basmati and brown basmati strong>, darker. Both are cooked in time intervals that do not exceed 20 minutes. p>
Given the ability of rice grains to stick together due to the high quantityd of starch, it is advisable to wash it before cooking. If you also soak for half an hour to two hours before cooking, the grains will be less likely to break during cooking.
I love this long grain rice, with that characteristic smell and taste. It is famous for its delicate fragrances and its exquisite taste, in India its name means ” queen of fragrances“.
Hebasmati riceIt is one of the best long rice dishes in the world, especially if we want to use it as an accompaniment to recipes with curries or with an oriental touch. In this recipe we have relied on rice basmatihow good a result it always gives us.
Before cooking the basmati rice. Previous wash and rest
- We measure the rice that we are going to use, for 4 people with 50 grams is enough, but if you are passionate you can add a little more. Remember the measure of the water.
- First we are going to clean the starch that the rice brings. SThe starch content is very high, so to make it loose, it will have to be washed several times with cold water in the saucepan where we are going to cook it.
- We must rinse it several times until the water runs clear. li>
- Once the water is more or less clear, let it rest for about 10 minutes. This will make the grain cook earlier and stay firmer and whole.
Rice cooking and final presentation
- We put it to cook over a low-medium heat starting from the cold water in which it was soaked and that barely covers all of the rice.
- With a finger of water more or less above the rice is enough, as you can see in the photos of the step by step.
- We cover it and add a few pinches of salt (this to taste because normally this rice is to accompany it, it does not usually take much).
- Cook for about 15 minutes if it has been soaked before. Once ready, we turn off the heat and let it absorb all the excess liquid, thus concentrating all the aromas.
- We wash the lime and grate it without reaching the white part, we do not want it to become bitter. We booked.
- In a frying pan we are going to toast our spices to give this rice a greater aroma (this step is optional but it still has that point that oriental restaurants give it). li>
- Lightly toast the coriander, cumin and fennel in a frying pan without oil, a minute and a half until they begin to take hold.Colour.
- We immediately remove from the heat and mix everything (the lime as well) with the rice after resting.
- Before serving, stir with a fork to separate the grains.
And we already have our perfect basmati rice, ideal to accompany any type of dish, be it meat, fish or vegetables, a perfect garnish for any recipe.