The walnut is the healthiest dried fruit thanks to the balanced composition of its fats. With only 25 g of walnuts (5 pieces), 91% of the daily needs of Omega-3 fatty acids.
It is one of the nuts with more fat – 62% of its weight – but with proportions of fatty acids that make it very healthy.
While in other nuts the proportion of omega 6 is much higher than that of omega-3 (40 to 1 in almonds, for example), which can promote inflammation if the disproportion is not corrected through other foods, in walnuts the ratio is 5 to 1, much more balanced.
Only 9% is saturated fat, 14% is the beneficial monounsaturated and 77% is polyunsaturated, of which 13% is from the omega 3 family. This is part of the secret of the most studied property of walnuts: its protective effect against cardiovascular diseases. p>
It also contributes proteins strong>(15%) and presents a remarkable percentage ofVitamin E,vitamins of group B, and minerals and trace elements such asphosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc and iron. strong>
Walnut health benefits
The fat composition of the walnut and its richness in antioxidant compounds explain the main indications of the walnut in relation toon with health. p>
Good for the heart/ strong>
Omega-3 fatty acids improve the ratio between good (HDL) and bad (LDL) cholesterol, and prevent erratic heart rhythms and the formation of blood clots in the arteries, the first cause of heart attack. In addition, they benefit brain health, as neurons need them to function properly.
The walnut has a well-deserved prestige that does not stop growing. By now almost everyone interested in taking care of their health through food knows that five nuts a day are life insurance for the heart.
In addition, the walnut has other positive effects on health:
In the case of type 2 diabetes –the one related to diet– the positive effects on cholesterol levels are significant. anti-inflammatory effect,walnuts help in case of asthma, arthritis or skin diseases such as psoriasis.
- For vegans, they are a valuable source of omega-3s and protein. li>
- Theantioxidant substancesof the walnut delay or reduce the severity of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s.
- Its ellagic acid favors the elimination of carcinogenic substances and helps to block the metabolic pathways that lead to the development of tumor cells.
- It seems that a few walnuts in the ensalty are enough forprevent the appearance of gallstones.
- They produce a satiating effect and it is advisable to include them in weight loss regimes that reduce total fat by avoiding foods rich in saturated fat: it must be remembered that the fat in the walnut itself does not make you fat, what matters is the diet as a whole .